History

h1

Herbertpur Christian Hospital is a 120 bedded hospital started in 1934 by a British Missionary doctor, Dr. Geoffrey Lehmann. Dr. Lehmann and his wife had the heart to reach out the medical services to the poor and marginalised people in this sub Himalayan range. They pioneered their work in a village called Herbertpur which was 40 km away from the nearest railway station (Dehradun). At that time there was not a single allopathic doctor in the vicinity of Herbertpur except for some Veds and Hakims who practiced their traditional healing arts.

h2

The fame of the hospital grew within no time and people from different villages accessed the services of this hospital. Dr. Lehmann was concerned about the many patients with eye disease going untreated, so he qualified as an Ophthalmologist and began Eye Camps as well as the Eye program at the hospital. Dr. Lehmann was the only doctor in the hospital for most of the 40 years he was working here. On 1st July 1973, Herbertpur Hospital became an incorporated member  of the Emmanuel Hospital Association (EHA) which is a chain of mission hospitals in the North and North-east part of the country. 

h3

After 1973, the services provided by the hospital expanded under the able leadership of Dr. Symon Satow and Mr. Paul East. A separate Eye Block was inaugurated in the mid-eighties to cater to the increasing number of eye patients.  In 2004, the new OPD block was established and running. The hospital has always been involved actively with the communities around either by way of giving them health education or providing services in the villages.  Many pioneering initiatives in the region related to community health and development at the grass root level was started by HCH. Currently, there are four different projects running in the Community Health and Development Department (CHDP) of the hospital.

The hospital believes in training and imparting education to the further generation for better medical care of the patients. Apart from the different training programs running throughout the year, School of Nursing was started in the year 2013 providing GNM training to the students.

history1

 1934  Beginning of HCH

 

1936-38  Lehmann Hospital established

1970  Community Health and Development Project (CHDP) started

1973  Lehmann Hospital became part of Emmanuel Hospital Association (EHA)

1984   Maternity ward, OT & Eye department built

1984  CHDP emphasised on Mother and Child care

1994-2001  Immunization project handed over to the Government

1999-2003   Lehmann Community Project started

        Library was built

2002   Anugrah Disability Project started

2004   New Out-Patient block opened

2004-2010   SHIFA – One Project started

2009 to Present   Targeted Intervention (TI)- HIV Project started

2009 – 2010   DIPECHO (Disaster Risk Reduction) Project started

2011  PEHEL Project started

2011   Lehmann Community College established

2011-13 HRIDAYA Project started

2012 to Present   SHIFA – Two Project (Mental Health & Disability Project) started

2012  Anugrah Orthotic & Carpentry Unit started

2013   School of Nursing established

2016   Renovation of Maternity Block

2016  Hostel built for Nursing students

2016   Nari Niketan- MOU signed with State Government

 

1936-38

Establishing Lehmann Hospital

 

2013

School of Nursing Established

 

19

Library Opened

1984

Maternity Ward, OT & Eye department built

 

 

 

 


 ------------------------------------------------------------

1934

Beginning

 

1973

Hospital part of EHA

 

2016

Renovation of Maternity Block

 

2004

New Out-Patient block

 


 

Copyright © HCH-EHA 2018 all right reserved | Powered By : Royal Developer

Copyright 2011 History.
Templates Joomla 1.7 by Wordpress themes free